Registration for New International Students
Before going to school, new international students must complete the registration process through the Richmond International Education office. Some of these steps can be prepared from the student's home country, while others must be submitted after arrival in Canada. We know there are many questions about the upcoming school year and how current travel restrictions and exemptions will affect new students. At present, we are preparing for the new academic year as usual and asking students to prepare documents so they are ready to come if travel restrictions and exemptions are adjusted.
Registration consists of 3 sections
- Orientation presentations
- Registration with RIE
- ELL Assessment
From your home country:
- Download the iCent App for Richmond International Education (having troubles with the app? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to ask for help)
- Ensure you have reviewed all Travel and Isolation Information, and completed appropriate forms
- Download Zoom (for Orientation)
After arrival in Canada:
- Send a copy of your study permit to our office through the iCent App
- Submit all documents (Registration form, MSP form and a copy of your final report card)
- We will send you a link to do your ELL assessment (if applicable) with instructions and log in information
- Complete the ELL assessment
- Start school
Questions or Problems with Registration? Call us at 604-668-6217
English Language Learning (ELL) Assessment
Our District has extensive experience in supporting students who are English language learners. Our students have been very successful in obtaining English fluency while at the same time, completing their education in our program.
The purpose of the ELL assessment is to determine the student’s English ability in order to offer an integrated ELL and academic program consisting of ELL support classes and regular courses as they master English.
ELL Test, Time Limits and Sections
|Grade 8 -12||105||Included||Included||Included|
|Grade 4 - 7||80||Included||Included||Included|
|Grade 2 - 3||60||Included||Included||Included|
|K - Grade 1||30||Oral assessment only by ELL teacher||x||x|
We will email the student with login instructions once the student has completed the registration process upon arrival in YVR. The assessment can easily be completed within the expected time provided students work at a steady pace.
Students required a stable internet connection, and ipad/computer with audio and earbuds.